Featured in: Summer 2012 issue
by Cathie Allan
Last summer, we attended Heritage Days in Edmonton with my daughter and my youngest grandson, Rowan. When we entered a tent filled with African artifacts, arts and crafts, clothing, and drums, Rowan was immediately enamored with the drums, so much so that it was either buy the drum or leave the child in the tent. We bought the drum. Then we went for lunch behind the concessions and let him bang away. That happy, little guy was having the time of his life, banging on his drum.
When I came home, I prepared to go to teach at Scrapfest in Minneapolis. I created this page for Clearsnap for the Hampton Arts booth where we would be doing make-‘n-takes. Maybe it was the colours, maybe it was the techniques, maybe it was the ginger-haired boy “a bangin’ on that drum,” but in the end it became part of their advertising campaign for Smooch, and you saw it in the Winter 2011 issue of this wonderful magazine.
I have recreated it so I could step it out for you, in case you, too, have a budding drummer in your life and would love to have an “original” to showcase his or her abilities.
Bang on My Drum All Day
Stony Plain, Alberta
SUPPLIES: Canadian Scrapbooker Super Stock, graphic 45 stamps, flower staples and large metal buttons, Clearsnap pigment, Fluid Chalk ink, Top Boss, stylus, white foam tip, embossing powder and Smooch ink, Be Creative tape.
HOW TO CREATE CATHIE’S STAMP SMOOSH EFFECT:
A. On a piece of white Super Stock, use creamy brown Fluid Chalk ink from Clearsnap to stamp down various values of the flower image from graphic 45. Smack the stamp down along the bottom of the paper, overlapping and carelessly.
HOW TO CREATE CATHIE’S LAYOUT:
1. On a piece of white Super Stock, use the Smack down technique and graphic 45 flower stamp, along with creamy brown, yellow cadmium, and olive pastel Clearsnap Fluid Chalk ink to customize the background—creating your own unique patterned paper.
2. Add borders and edge the page with your favourite pigmented black marker.
3. Stamp a row of jazz players, using the graphic 45 set of cling stamps and black pigment ink. Emboss with clear embossing powder on a piece of Super Stock.
4. Using your ColorBox stylus and white foam tips, add some of each colour that you used on your background paper.
5. Trim as shown.
6. Edge this piece with your black marker, and add a fine red line along the bottom for a little more definition.
7. Using gold lame and siren Smooch, alter the graphic 45 flower embellishments. Drag the applicator down on the edges of your flowers to leave a heap of Smooch along the edges. Let’s call this gilding. Let dry.
8. Trim a small mat frame from Super Stock the size of your photo.
9. Paint the frame with the siren Smooch.
10. Edge with your pigment, black marker for definition.
11. On a couple of scraps of Super Stock, use your stylus and white foam tips to apply your Fluid Chalk colours.
12. Allow to dry, or heat set with a hot, dry iron for immediate results.
13. Stamp “The Jazz Age” and the “Dixie Park” banner images with black pigment ink on the coloured Super Stock set aside in Step 12. Emboss with clear embossing powder. Trim to size.
14. Print out “I just wanna bang on my drum all day” in Desdemona font in a large size. (I used size 80.)
15. Back your text with Be Creative tape that is 35mm wide. This tape is going to give your printer paper substance and allow you to alter the simple printer paper beyond its usual capabilities.
16. Trim to size of Be Creative tape.
17. Paint in your text with the siren Smooch ink. Trim the text strips as shown.
18. For a super-cool effect, apply Smooch to a clear acrylic block.
19. Mist the block with water, and smear with your finger.
20. Then stamp the Smooch stamp you just created on the text strip created in Step 17.
21. Add a bit more colour to your strips by applying some Top Boss clear ink to a white foam tip and then adding some siren Smooch to this prepared tip.
22. Apply this watercolour-like applicator over your text.
23. Assemble all of the pieces as shown.
Stony Plain, Alberta
SUPPLIES: Canadian Scrapbooker Super Stock, graphic 45 and Stampendous stamps, graphic 45 flower staples and large metal buttons, Clearsnap pigment ink, Fluid Chalk ink, stylus, white foam tip, embossing powder and Smooch ink, Be Creative tape, unknown ribbon.